Following surgery or injury, the body must heal.
The process of healing requires adequate intake of carbohydrates, fat, vitamins, minerals, water and protein to support the repair process.
Katleya Baldazo MS, RD, LDN, Registered Dietitian with Transitional Care of Arlington Heights, recommends these high-protein snacks to help the body power up for recovery:
Top 10 High Protein Snacks for Recovery
- 1/4 cup DIY trail mix full of your favorite nuts and dried fruit
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt topped with berries
- Carrots and celery sticks with 1/2 cup hummus
- 2 hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a banana
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese topped with sliced peaches
- Smoothie made with your favorite milk, fruits and ice
- Protein shake, such Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with milk or Ensure
- 1/2 turkey and cheese sandwich
- 1 ounce low-fat sliced cheese and crackers